known as Emetophobia
this is a phobia where the person
has on overwhelming and often obsessional fear of being
or watching someone else be sick or vomit. It is sometimes
known as the 'vomit phobia'. People that suffer from the fear of
being sick are known as Emetophobics or Emetophobes. Emetophobes
tend to be on the lookout for anybody that is even slightly ill
in case they come into contact with germs and illness, trying to
make sure that there is no way that they can be sick. Emetophobia
can often rule the person's life, dominating their thoughts each
and every day. It can and often does turn into a major obsession.
As a professional hypnotherapist,
and psychotherapist in Cheltenham
I have successfully treated emetophobia
many times and is considered by many to be an expert in this particular
phobia, and many people that previously had their lives completely
ruled by their fear of being sick are now out there enjoying their
lives fully...free from emetophobia and its symptoms.
|Some symptoms of Emetophobia
- A tremendous and uncontrollable fear of
being sick, fear of vomit, being sick in public or fear
of watching someone else vomit or be sick.
- Despite having what can only be described as an obsession
with the thought of being sick which is almost always
daily - emetophobes are rarely sick themselves
- Watching people closely to see if they
are ill, or show any signs of illness.
- Avoiding certain foods again to the point
of obsession just in case of vomiting
- Obsessing about germs and hygeine, particularly
in the kitchen but also around other people who are ill
or might be, watching for every cough or splutter in friends
- Hating or even avoiding public transport
in case others are sick.
- Feeling worried about becoming pregnant
because of 'morning sickness' and associated feelings.
- Hating hospitals
- Being particular about the expiry date
on food and chucking out food if it's even close to going
out of date
- Hating feeling 'out of control' generally
- Being quite 'obsessional' generally in life - often
emetophobics are absolutely fixated on their phobia and
it dominates their thoughts.